Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Is It Just Me???

I know that I'm NOT perfect. I am soooooo FAR from perfection, but I put forth the effort when I do something.

It's so hard for me to walk into the gym and see people working half-assed! You've seen them, too, I know you have. They're on the treadmill with the incline jacked all the way up, hanging on and talking to their girlfriend on the next treadmill. They're on the phone, talking a little too loudly, trying to show that they're important. They're at the back of the class, doing the motions but not at 100%. Or they're in the weight room, "swinging" the weights around ... Mind you, I understand if they're sick or not up to par, but I've seen people who are sick or not up to par, too, and they're giving it the best that they have, or they rest until they are able to get back into their groove.

When I posted this as my FaceBook status, I received many comments to the effect that, "Not everyone can be you, Row." Or, "Not everyone has the physical abilities that you do, Row." Or, "I'm glad I didn't go because you'd just laugh at me." Yada, yada, yada ... blah, blah, blah!

My point, and I DO have one, is that people pay to go to the gym, or have a trainer, or to go workout and they don't put forth the effort. They lag, or they talk, don't do the moves right, or don't use the equipment correctly ... It's soooooo NOT a matter of physical abilities because lots of people just starting out try hard, ask questions, and workout to 100% of their ability!

I can hear many of you asking why I don't help these individuals. I have attempted to, trust me. I have offered "friendly" advice. I have tried to correct poor form. I have even cited safety concerns. For the most part, I do offer my advice as "constructive criticism." It's NOT my intent to laugh at anyone, or to make them feel small. Seriously, I am happy to see people working out. But remember, I am an ER Nurse and I have taken care of my fair share of individuals who have dropped weights on themselves, "fallen" off the treadmill, pulled muscles because of improper mechanics, etc. I talk to individuals who want "quick-fixes," and get upset because I cannot offer them any other advice other than hard work, and better eating habits. There are NO shortcuts, or at least I have not found any.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I am too hypercritical of others. I don't believe that I am though. I've been dubbed "hardcore," and other crazy adjectives to that effect. I believe in getting your money's worth, putting your best foot forward, doing your best, giving it your all in order to achieve the BEST results possible. Anything less = FAIL!!!

1 comment: