Monday, December 7, 2009

I Work Out So That I Can Eat Whatever I Want - Fact or Fiction?!

I'm not going to lie ... I am like every other woman who wishes that there was a Magic Pill that would keep the body in shape without working out, to allow me to eat whatever I wanted without gaining an ounce, to keep the wrinkles and gray hair at bay, and to keep me healthy. Fountain of youth? I know that that doesn't exist so I am not even going to start dreaming about it! I'm just looking for the lazy way ... but the lazy way doens't exist either!

Thankfully though, I am one of those women who has been blessed with athletic abilities. I believe that once I was released from my mother's womb, I hit the ground running. I started walking at 9 months old. I ran my first track meet in the 4th grade. I dabbled in gymnastics, ran high school varsity track and cross country. I have a black belt in Krav Maga. I have participated in and have taught kickboxing classes. I have run 10Ks, half-marathons, and even a couple marathons. I am proud to say that I AM a very accomplished athlete.

My difficulties lie in that 1) I'm getting a little older, and 2) I like to eat - not a lot, but I do get caught with my hand in the proverbial cookie jar more times than it should be in there! The getting older part, I can't do anything about. But that part is only numbers. I don't feel the number that I am, and, if truth be told, I am better than those with numbers smaller than or less than mine. It's just hard to believe that I am over 40! I laugh when I think about that ... when did that happen?!? The eating part, I can change. I cannot change that which I do not acknowledge ... therefore, let me acknowledge my weakness now.

My name is Row., and I am HUMAN.


I like to eat. Not junk food, per se, but snacking on those which are not that great for an (slowly) aging body. I love bread and pasta. I love pastries - namely Apple Danishes from Toot Sweets, and Cinnamon Sour Cream or Blueberry Muffins. I DON'T eat them everyday, but I lie to myself when I do eat them. I try to tell myself that eating one will not harm me, and it won't, but I have to work EXTRA hard to work it off, and most times I don't do the extra work that is necessary. I forget the mantra, "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips." I understand that I am the only one in control of what goes into my mouth. I cannot lay blame on anyone because no one is forcing me to eat the things that I do. However ... there are the occasional sabateurs .... Ha! I won't blame them either!

It's a joke to tell yourself that you workout so that you can eat whatever you want. It's a waste to workout if all you're going to do is eat crap. If you're not seeing the changes that you want, or if you're seeing changes that you don't want, most likely it's because your nutrition sucks! Bottom line is, if you eat crap and workout, you're still going to look like crap! Nutrition is a big part of fitness. We need to remember to eat to live versus living to eat. Fitness alone will NOT solve my "problems."

So here to day ... I acknowledge my weakness and my desire to change this behavior. When I choose to eat badly, I will make up for it in the gym by working out harder or longer. I intend to make better choices because most times it's just NOT worth the extra effort that must be put out to work it off! Seriously ... to "have to" run 2 miles to work off one doughnut ... Yeah, no!!! I'd rather do the best that I can to "keep it clean" and out of my mouth! I CAN do it, I know that I CAN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment