Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Running For Dad ...


This is something that I sent out last year in preparation for a marathon that I ran in memory of my father, and to commemorate my turning 40. I wanted to remember what I wrote so I put it in this blog ... I miss my father very much, and think of him often ... especially on those long, long lonely runs where I just don't think that I'm going to make it ...






To My Dearest Family and Friends ...



This October 2008, Row.'s turning 40 (ooooohhhh!) and to celebrate I will be running my very first marathon ever! I have done several endurance events in the past, but none as significant or as important as this one.

At the urging of my husband, Chris, I signed up to run the San Francisco Nike Women's Marathon in early March. As it was a lottery, I signed up never imaging that I would be selected. No longer can I claim that I have never won the lottery. Being one of 20,000 lucky selected lottery winners of this marathon, I will be running on Sunday, October 19th in memory of my Beloved Father, Alex Qunitua, whom many of you know passed away this past Valentine's day from complications of leukemia.

My Dad was a man who enjoyed life, and loved his family and friends. He fought his disease with much determination and heart, and very little complaint. My father knew this disease inside and out, constantly researching and asking questions, reading literature, and seeking the advice of multiple physicians. My Father, being of strong Catholic faith, prayed also ... he prayed not only for himself, but for his family, for a miracle, and for a cure. My Father wanted so much to live, and he believed that he would overcome. And he did ... my Father lived for four years after his initial diagnosis. He was a man with a big heart and an equally big smile. He believed that much was possible and he lived his life to the fullest.

I know that many of you believe that 26.2 miles is a long way to run, but I can do this for my Dad. The fight that my Father fought with Leukemia was so much harder than my undertaking of running a marathon. I thoroughly and truly believe that my Dad will be with me as I cross that finish line, and that it will be a life-changing moment for myself. I only wish that my Father's finish line could have been a different one.

The Nike Women's Marathon is a race that benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) and raises funds to help find cures for leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. In honor of my Father, I am fundraising for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society (LLS). I know that these are tough financial times, but if you can help me in raising funds for this organization, please make your checks out to the "Leukemia Lymphoma Society" (Please write "MCH/RWallen" or "In Memory Of Alex Quintua" in your memo line). Whatever amount you can give is appreciated immensely. You can mail the checks to me or you can donate online at http://www.active.com/donate/mch2005/mchRWALLEN.

Many thanks to all of you for all of your support.

Row. ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment